Monday, May 19, 2014

Digital Literacy



Digital Literacy is the ability to use digital technology, communication tools or networks to locate, evaluate, use and create information. Also to understand and use information in multiple formats from a wide range of sources when it is presented via computers performing tasks effectively in a digital environment. This includes the ability to read and interpret media, to reproduce data and images through digital manipulation, and to evaluate and apply new knowledge gained from digital environments.
To support this, the Cornell University defines it as “The ability to find, evaluate, utilize, share, and create content using information technologies and the Internet. Activities including writing papers, creating multimedia presentations, and posting information about yourself or others online are all a part of your day-to-day life, and all of these activities require varying degrees of digital literacy. Is simply knowing how to do these things enough? No—there’s more to it than that”. 
References: 


http://digitalliteracy.cornell.edu/

ICT  situation in my ELT classroom
Since I am an active ESL teacher i would like to share the reality of my classroom. To start I do not usually use all the ICTs with my students, maybe only e-mails once a week. This because I am not trained in the use of these resources (this is about to end) and maybe also because where I work they prefer face to face classes. Where I work I have around 150 students but I do not have access to a computer at the institution and neither they.

Students do have video beams but since I work many hours a day I have not have the chance to make presentations for all my classes. Regarding my students, they are very young, between 17 and 29 years old, most of them only have Highschool English as their background knowledge of the language, all of them have mobile devices but not all of those are smart phones that support APPS.
Currently we are working very hard in order to get a lab with good computers so we may include the ICTs very strongly. we count with the help of some computer engineering students but as always we have to cope with a lot of  bureaucracy from the institution policies.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment